Sunday, October 21, 2012

Superblessed

We have survived another week here in Guatemala! Rainy season is ending and I didn't think it was possible to have even more beautiful weather. We only saw rain once or twice this week. We have brisk, chilly mornings and evenings and then warm gorgeous afternoons. I miss the coming of fall and for the first time I'm grateful that Texas has even small seasonal changes, because here there are none. I'm missing pumpkins and the fall colors taking over the city. It's really weird seeing Christmas trees and decorations in stores already. I forget that time is passing while I'm here and life is going on at home without me. I left during 100+ degree summer and will be returning to cold Austin ready to go to Christmas Eve services....it is very strange. Although there are so many things I miss and can't wait to do again when I return to Texas,  I wouldn't trade my life here right now for anything.

God is moving in huge ways in my school and even more specifically in my class. This week we started having prayer time as a class for about ten minutes at the end of the day. The kids love it (of course, they're not doing work) and it has really created a loving, compassion-filled environment. I enjoy just stopping at school and focusing on what God is doing during the day while I'm at work with my kiddos. We have been praying for each other and we've been learning how to honor God before asking for blessings. This is such an incredible moment--hearing eight years olds thank God for being mighty to save and being so thankful that Jesus died for their sins. I thank God for these times and pray that we will all benefit from it continually for the rest of the year.

Third grade representin at Chapel.
My class is such a blessing to me. On those days that life is really difficult or they are driving crazy, I have the privilege of turning on some worship music and listening to my kids worship our Savior while they work. I am so grateful to be at a Christian school where we can shamelessly worship a huge God. It's so cool that Americans, Guatemalans, and children from so many backgrounds can come to the same classroom and sing together while they're learning.

My class did a fantastic job of leading Chapel again this week. They are very confident and brilliant singers. They love spending that time to worship and I just love hearing their voices every week.

My students leading elementary Chapel.
Last night, my friends and I participated in a very Latin American cultural event. We attended our first soccer game. We rooted for our local soccer team, Los Superchivos (Super goats)! This was a very interesting, yet hilarious experience. I went to Texas A&M so I know enthusiasm in sports, but this was comically different--people throwing trash on the field, men urinating on the wall ten feet from our seats, fireworks being exploded a little too close for comfort, learning all kinds of Spanish vocabulary that we probably wouldn't learn anywhere else. We had a lot of fun in our new jerseys as the white people represented the Supergoats.

Kendra, Liz, and I in our Superchivos jerseys.
This would be the equivalent of the student section=craziness.
I am very grateful for some relaxing time the next couple weekends. We are heading to Tapachula, Mexico next weekend for a completely paid trip to get our passports stamped. We will be doing some shopping, going to the beach, and enjoying some shorts weather. Then we head to El Salvador for a four-day getaway the next weekend. Definitely looking forward to some much needed relaxing time. Thank you for your prayers. Please continue to pray for my kids and my relationship with them. That I would model love and patience with them. Love you all and see you Austinites in two months from yesterday!

1 comment:

  1. Love the supergoats story! So fun! Love you Jess! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete