Sunday, November 17, 2013

We're ENGAGED!

Well, this has been a very big week. If you would've asked me a year and a half ago if I thought I'd meet the man I was going to marry when I moved to Guatemala, I would have said no. But, God had slightly different plans than I intended and I not only came down here to teach, but to meet and fall in love with this guy named Sean.

A week ago, he asked me to marry him. I'm sure everyone will want to know how he did it, so here it is. 

It was a cloudy, lazy Sunday afternoon and we decided to take a walk just to get outside. To me we were walking aimlessly and we even ran into our friend Sarah and chatted with her for a bit. About a year ago, when we were both living in host families, the houses were very close. He frequently walked me home and we would stand outside talking for a while. This was really how we got to know each other. This was also the area where we officially started dating and where we kissed for the first time. Also, this is the spot that he first told me he loved me. We were standing in this spot when he got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I can't remember his exact words, but I think I said yes before he even asked. 

This special corner will forever be etched in our memories. To any passerby, this corner embodies a filthy, third-world country. It's a partly paved, partly eaten away sidewalk against a crumbling concrete wall with graffiti on it. One will frequently find dog feces on this corner and who knows, maybe even human feces as well. It's gross and I'm very proud of Sean for kneeling in it.

We are so very happy and very excited to get married. We don't have specific details on location or date just yet, but we will soon. We also have no solid plans yet for next year regarding staying in Guatemala or not. Thank you for the many prayers and we would very much appreciate continued prayer as we embark on this journey together.

The corner where he proposed.


A close up of the graffiti, "Give peace a chance!"

My beauuuuutiful ring.

The sunset on November 10, 2013, the night of our engagement.

This is how I told my class the next morning.

This was how far they guessed until they were able to solve it. They were jumping out of their seats to answer.

This is how we told the staff. Our co-workers are so supportive. But really, they are.


1 comment: